"That’s impossible!" is what most people would say when you ask them to organize an event with zero budget. You might think there’s no way to do it, but it is absolutely possible. You will need patience and determination to start your own event planning business, but you certainly do not need to raise a huge capital. Meet the deadlines you have set for yourself, coordinate your project strictly, and be persistent. While it might be difficult, here at World Trade Center Metro Manila
, we’re here to tell you that this is completely doable.
Keep in mind that money isn’t the only thing you can provide. There is a myriad of other benefits like exposure, contacts, and portfolio that others may find more valuable than a simple paycheck. One of the best ways to host an event with zero budget is by exchanging services or favors. Keep this in mind as we go through everything you can do to execute a successful event without spending a dime.
- To begin with, what is your event about? No, really, what is it about? Once you come up with an event idea, remember to be flexible. Leave yourself some room for modification and development of the idea. Once you finalize the idea, move on to developing the concept of the event. The concept will give you more competitive advantage. It is what will make your event stand out from similar ones.
- The venue is extremely important. The goal is to find a venue with which you have common interests so that you can negotiate using it for free. Yes, this is very possible. Try to reach for venues that don’t have a large staff. The more people needed to run the venue, then the more people you’ll have to negotiate with. If the venue already has a following, then the easier it will be to convince performers and speakers to participate.
- Some people will contribute to the event, even for free, if they feel like it’s creative, revolutionary, or benefits them. In order to attract speakers for free to your event, you should have a well-developed event plan that shows passion and inspiration, so that you can offer them a list of irresistible benefits following their attendance. You have to sell it like they’re going to be part of something bigger than themselves. Be prepared to alter your proposal, always have a few other lecturers in mind, and make sure they want all the exposure they can get.
- You may also consider sponsorships. You need to consider which companies and organizations will be interested in sponsoring your event and what are the benefits this sponsorship offers them. Sponsoring companies are interested in the event’s audience and topic when they determine whether or not your event is an appropriate place to promote their brand. If all interests align, you may just get a sponsor to ease the burden of the event expenses.
- Whether it is possible to have a sufficient marketing campaign for free is a whole world of its own. There are some ways to get around expensive advertising. There is social media, which you can handle yourself with a bit of determination. Many solutions like WordPress and Wix offer great services for creating a customized website for free. Finding media partners to talk about your event, spreading interviews and reviews would also be a great starting point for your marketing campaign. The media help build your credibility, so make sure you find a respected media partner.
- Don’t rule out the possibilities of people donating to help your event get off the ground. Nowadays it isn’t necessary to write loads of letters or knock on literal doors to get donations. Online platforms like Kickstarter and Indiegogo allow you to receive contributions from people all over the world. In line with this, take into consideration the options you are offered with regard to ticketing software and the corresponding pricing. The pricing plan of your event has a crucial role in the decision-making process of many attendees. Be prepared to set up promotional periods and discounts.
- Finally, while one person can get a lot done by themselves, it’s quite impossible to get all of it done alone. This means you’ll need some volunteers. It’s always easier when the event is for a good cause. Don’t forget to check out websites for places you can advertise online for volunteers. There are lots of people out there who would love to get started in the event planning industry and just need a bit of experience.